The Kleiman v Wright verdict

Article
Geir

1 month ago by Geir

So, here is the basic verdict that the jury unanimously decided on in the Kleiman v Wright case:

Do you find that Craig Wright is liable to the Estate of David Kleiman for breach of partnership? Answer: No

Do you find that Craig Wright is liable to the Estate of David Kleiman and/or W&K Info Defense Research, LLC for conversion? Answer: Yes

If you answered “Yes” to Question 3, identify the Plaintiff(s) to whom Craig Wright is liable for conversion by placing an identifying mark (check or X) next to one (or both) of the following: Answer: W&K Info Defense Research, LLC

For each Plaintiff you checked yes to in Question 4, what is the amount of compensatory damages you find was caused by Craig Wright’s conversion? Answer: $100,000,000

Do you find that either the Estate of David Kleiman or W&K Info Defense Research, LLC has proven its claim for civil theft against Craig Wright by clear and convincing evidence? Answer: No

Do you find that Craig Wright is liable to the Estate of David Kleiman and/or W&K Info Defense Research, LLC for fraud? Answer: No

Do you find that Craig Wright is liable to the Estate of David Kleiman and/or W&K Info Defense Research, LLC for constructive fraud? Answer: No

Do you find that Craig Wright is liable to W&K Info Defense Research, LLC for breach of fiduciary duty? Answer: No

Do you find that Craig Wright is liable to W&K Info Defense Research, LLC on claims asserted by W&K Info Defense Research, LLC for punitive damages? If the answer is “yes,” set forth the amount. Answer: No

My thoughts:
While both sides have claimed this verdict is a victory for them, I would say this is a clear victory for Craig Wright, despite the $100 million he will have to pay.

First of all, the claim from the plaintiff was close to 1 trillion dollar according to what was previously reported. (Source: https://twitter.com/CarolinaBolado/status/1463195207252463617 )

Secondly, the jury found Craig S. Wright NOT GUILTY of:

  1. Breach of partnership
  2. Civil theft
  3. Fraud
  4. Constructive Fraud
  5. Breach of fiduciary duty

Thirdly, the jury did NOT find Craig Wright liable for punitive damages.

Finally, the $100 million was awarded to W&K Info Defense Research, LLC and NOT the estate of David Kleiman, and from what I have seen, David Kleiman only owned 25% of this company, with the other 75% owned by Craig Wright’s ex-wife, and a company owned by Craig Wright.

Craig Wright has already stated that he will NOT appeal this verdict. It remains to be seen if the plaintiff will appeal. Personally, I would be surprised if there is no appeal, despite the claims of victory from the Kleiman side.